In a surprise move at the Nova Care complex today reporters were expecting Brandon Graham….instead they got Chip Kelly.
Per @EaglesInsider here are the transcripts from the press conference:
- Kelly: I didn’t think i needed to control personnel. That’s a decision our owner made
- Kelly considers the trade of McCoy for Alonso important because it allowed the eagles to go after Maxwell
- Kelly dispels the notion that the eagles will try and trade for Mariota
- Mariota the best QB in the draft but won’t mortgage the future to get him
- Kelly: I think Bradford has a tremendous skill set – praised his smarts and accuracy
- Kelly said eagles were offered a first round pick this morning for Bradford
- Bradford not here to be a chip in another trade
When Chip speaks we need to listen. For a couple reasons: 1 he never speaks so when he does you can’t miss it. 2 he has a knack for swaying your opinion about the Eagles. After listening this afternoon its almost hard to come away not thinking, “ok i can see where he’s coming from” or “I’m still on board with this plan.”
Everyone knows they weren’t offered a No. 1 pick for Bradford this morning. If that were the case the Rams would have made a separate trade and this would be a non issue. Just a PR move by Kelly to soften the blow.
He said Bradford had a tremendous skill set. He does, at 6’4 220 with a quick accurate release. Everyone covets those skills. That’s not the issue, the issue is durability. All coaches value durability. 7 games in 2 years is the opposite of durability.
Will the Eagles trade for Mariota? Kelly says no. In 2009 Andy Reid asked if Donovan McNabb was his QB, his answer: yes. 3 months later McNabb was traded. At this point in time is Bradford the eagles QB: yes. Still think deal for Mariota is possible.